A Snappy Comeback Appropriate For Any Situation: Yo Momma

*Today I am participating in Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop by answering the prompt: 5.) A snappy comeback! I actually wrote this post awhile back as a nostalgic memory for Kickin’ It Old School, but hey, it never gets old.  It’s a classic; Yo mama is a snappy comeback appropriate for just about any situation.  Wouldn’t you agree?

drama momma

This actually happened almost a year ago, but it still cracks me up whenever I think about it.

We were at the W Hotel in Buckhead having a fancy dinner with our kids to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary.  In the course of normal dinner conversation my husband picked up his wine glass, smelled it, and decided that it smelled too dusty for him and asked for another glass.   Now, I had been married to this man for 15 years at that point and had never seen him smell a glass before, but apparently he says that he does it all the time because dusty glasses are a pet peeve of his.  I started making fun of him because I really think my husband is going to be a crazy old man; I mean some of his current behaviors point in that direction.  I had the kids cracking up by painting a verbal picture of their dad sitting in a corner rocking chair smelling glasses, rocking madly and mumbling to himself.

My husband was not amused and just said, “Yo momma.”

Actually he frequently using this comeback to me when he can’t think of anything else to say and even says it to my son.  My son responds with, “You know, you’re talking about your wife and she’s standing right there.”

Well, that night I had a comeback of my own.   Out of the depths of my memory bank I pulled out a little ditty that I hadn’t said since I was about 9 years old living on the South Side of Chicago and recited it to my husband with requisite finger wagging and facial attitude.

Yo Momma,

Yo Daddy,

Yo greasy Granny,

Got a hole in her panties,

Got a big behind like Frankenstein,

Going beep-beep-beep down Sesame Street!

And then I started laughing uncontrollably.

My kids stared at me in shock and my husband tried to quiet me down, concerned about the other diners, but it took a long time for me to settle back into a Buckhead-like decorum.   It was fun to throw my playground swagger around….I still got it!

Visit Mama Kat’s Losin It to write a prompt of your own.

© 2010 – 2011, Funkidivagirl.com. All rights reserved. Republished only with permission.

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Mario Houston July 3, 2010, 3:27 pm

Ok, I don’t feel alone on this one then. I often use that comeback too. There is no shame in a little game of “The Dozens”. LOL your greasy gram mammie!

• Corliss July 1, 2010, 5:25 pm

Classic. And I remember that silly poem especially the part about yo greasy granny. Funny as all get out! I love your blogging.

• kim July 1, 2010, 3:14 pm

This article is so funny…I loved it. Yo momma leaves the other person speechless for a minute…sayin in their minds “Oh no she didn’t….LOL
    I had totally forgot that lil song… I fell out laughin…good one Sherry….

• Kate Barnette July 1, 2010, 1:24 pm

That’s GREAT! Did you add a head bob in there, too? As kids we would always say, “Oh, yeah? Well, I’m rubber and you’re glue. Whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you.”

Yo momma’s much simpler…and better!
    Kate Barnette´s last blog post ..Craft day- thanks to Grammi Becca-

• Funkidivagirl July 1, 2010, 1:26 pm

Yes Kate; we used to say that too! I haven’t used it as an adult yet…gotta try that. ;-)

• jade July 1, 2010, 12:28 pm

You are So right…’yo mama’ fits as the best overall comeback ever!!!

• Kimi@SoManyKids July 1, 2010, 11:37 am

Yo Momma is a CLASSIC! I am a fan of ‘Whatev’… Whenever my husband starts making sense in an arguement I just say ‘Whatev’ and walk away before he turns out to be right.

• Funkidivagirl July 1, 2010, 12:42 pm

I like “Whatev” too…it’s hard for someone to respond to that. Leaves ‘em hanging.

• Mrs.Mayhem July 1, 2010, 11:11 am

Funny comeback. It’s always good to add one to the arsenal, just in case. ;)

• No Excuses July 1, 2010, 9:28 am

Actually, it was Bizzymissliz that you commented on. Thanks!
    No Excuses´s last blog post ..Wednesday Wickedness – Idiot Style

• No Excuses July 1, 2010, 9:24 am

What a riot! I wish I could have been a fly on the wall that night so I could see the look on your family’s faces.

Thanks for sharing, and thanks for stopping by noexcuses.

Liz
    No Excuses´s last blog post ..Wednesday Wickedness – Idiot Style

• Stephanie July 1, 2010, 7:59 am

THIS was GREAT! lol… Love your blog! Just stopping in from Mama Kat’s today :)

Have a great holiday!